Thursday, February 1, 2007

Not very organized

What did I do today to further my goal to be debt-free? That is, to be free of credit card debt. Not a lot. I paid an overdue car insurance premium plus made a couple of credit card payments. One of which is my highest-interest card.

I already developed a list of all of my credit cards with their balances, monthly payments, and interest rates, so I know which card has the highest rate of interest. I have, in fact, been working to cut that baby back, over several months. What this program says to do, though, is to take the ten bucks a day that I find by cutting expenses here and there (the book - see Pay It Down! - on the right - offers many ways to go at this) and put it right into that one credit card account, on top of the minimum payment. I recklessly did just that, before I have sifted through and found the cuts I need to make to pay for it.

Below my list of credit cards, on the same Excel sheet, I listed other regular payments. Yesterday I also went back to Quicken, downloaded transactions from my primary bank account, and started in categorizing each transaction. I've got a way to go, but it feels good because I know that if I stick to this, and go back to writing down every cash expenditure and entering those as well, I will really know where it is ALL going. There's just no substitute for knowing.

No comments: