Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tough going

I worried that when I had to start making house payments I would find it to be quite a struggle. That is, in fact, the case. I don't yet know if I can manage it on my present income with my present expenses, because there have been extraordinary expenses, mostly related to the move. It all needs to shake down so I can see what's what more clearly.

On the plus side, I am eating out a lot less often than I was before. This because I have a nice new kitchen that is easy to use, has plenty of space, and has appliances that work. I am especially delighted to have a working oven. Oh, the cooking that goes on! I am quite savvy about making meals cheaply, too.

I just requested a change to my house loan. When approved I will be making two payments a month instead of one. And thereby I will shave two years off the loan and save about $12,000 in interest. This won't help me on a daily basis but it's no harder than paying once a month so it's clearly the right thing to do.

No comments: